Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Pet Sematary

Out of any of the books, I dreaded reading this one the most.  I fear "It" (and several others), but dread "Pet Sematary" - it hits way too close to home on so many different levels.  This is also one of the few books that I have seen the movie for (wait tell I tell you how that came about) and so this makes the imagery of this story so much more real.

In 1990, when I was 17 my brother, who had just turned 20, was killed in a car accident outside of Rosarita, Mexico. He had gone for Labor Day with some friends to go party and have a good time - a simple, innocent, common occurrence for young, single men. However, they had too much to drink, elected to continue driving, took a small and narrow mountain road, and ran head on into a cement truck. My brother was thrown through the windshield into the side of the mountain. His friend, who had a seatbelt on, suffered some very serious injuries, but survived the accident.  So what does this have to do with the story, not a lot, other than I can relate and to also say that the day after I found out about my brothers death, my closest friends came over to sit with me and to try and help me get my mind off of it.  One of them decided it would be a good idea to watch some movies, so they rented "Steel Magnolias" and "Pet Sematary".  (I still have a hard time understanding what would possess them, only to think that teenagers are pretty fucking dumb and self-absorbed.  I am SURE they had the best intentions, but it did not take my mind of it as you can imagine)

Anyway, that does not really have relevance to the story, but for my reading as that memory followed me the whole time I read this book.  The other thing you should probably know, if you don't already, is that I also lost a child.  The pain is beyond belief, and yes, you would do anything to have that child back. ANYTHING.

What struck me most about this book is the inability by the father to see past his grief and think rationally.  I realize that the burial grounds holds a magic and a will that forces people to do its bidding, however the continual drawing in was a little much for me.

I will end by saying I will be glad to not read this book ever again.




1 comment:

  1. Amy, I did not know the story about when you saw this movie. Everything, everything, about this... King's story, your circumstances, the grief... I'm simply left with a knot in my gut and a prayer for your continual healing on my lips.

    I remember seeing this movie... and regretting it.

    ReplyDelete