Tuesday, January 8, 2013

The Talisman

I should love this book, I really should - because it deals with the Territories and gives you just a whisper of the Dark Tower and Roland.  But, I did not love it.  Part of it had promise and at times I wanted to like it, but mostly I just wanted it over.  For one thing this book is long, too long.  There is a lot that goes on in here that does not add to the story and instead serves to drag the story along. (As the King said of Mozart's work in the movie Amadeus "Too many notes", this had too many unnecessary words) This book took me a very long time to get through, which is saying a tremendous amount since most of his books I finish in a week.

I found myself skimming paragraphs and trying to just get through, which it breaks my heart to say.  So is it King's fault or Straub's or the combination?  I don't know to be honest.  When I started reading this book it felt new and exciting, so I am wondering if I never read it before, read it and put it out of my mind, or stopped reading it because of boredom. Regardless, I made it through this time - none the wiser or happier for it.

I would love to tell you what this book was about, but honestly do not feel like I really know.  So much potential...."sigh".

1 comment:

  1. hm. and there it is.

    next subject.

    (I love that your reviews are from the heart! I love that you read with a heart for literary virtue and excellent story telling!)

    ReplyDelete